October 6, 2016 by Joseph Krohn
Psalm 136:1-17; 21-26
The Psalmist beings with 4 commands to give thanks (v.1,2,3,26) – They represent the FOUNDATION OF A GOOD THANKSGIVING FEAST
- What does give thanks mean? What is the Psalm telling us to do?
- Audible expression of gratitude à You have to tell Him
- Show our dependency on Him:
- “Give thanks unto the LORD” (Yahweh – denotes personal relationship with Him; Abraham)
- “The God of gods” – rules over things we cannot see
- “Lord of lords” – God rules over all; Adoni – lit. ruler/master
- “God of heaven” – (used by Canaanites – chief and unrivalled One)
- It means to be specific “I’m thankful to God for __________.]
The Psalmist reminds us of an important TRUTH about God: “For His mercy endureth forever” (26x)
- This repeated line helps us to stop and take notice over what God is being praised for.
- 41x the Bible tells us that “His mercy/love endures forever” (26x in this chapter)
- EXAMPLES: Ps 100:5 — Ps 106:1 –Ps 107:1 — 2 Chron. 7:3, 6 (Solomon’s dedication of the Temple) — 2 Chron. 20:21 (Jehoshaphat appointing singers) — Ezra 3:11 (laying foundation of the temple)
- “Mercy” – others translated it as: love, steadfast love, lovingkindness, enduring love.
PRAISES AND THANKSGIVING TO GOD – It is to be our chief focus!
- v.4 “Great wonders” – to get you think – What are some things that God did for Israel in their Egyptian years?
- 5-9 = thank God for His creation; the stuff right in front of us [it is sometimes the obvious things that we miss in thanking Him for].
- 10-22 = Be specific. Think about God’s help throughout the years – “His mercy endures” – God’s love is so strong that He fights on your behalf.
PRAISE AND THANK GOD FOR PERSONALLY BEING MY GOD!
v. 23-25 – changes from talking about Israel (3rd person) to making it personal – “us, our” (1st person)
- v. 23 “low estate” – saved us from our complete weakness!
- v. 24 “redeemed us from our enemies” – God is present in the battles that we face!
- v. 25 “gives food” – He meets our needs!
V.26 – PRAISE Him – Give thanks to the God of Heaven (the unrivalled One!)
WRITE: My Thanksgiving Psalm 136
“Give thanks … His love endures forever”
- I give thanks to the Lord, for He is __________________; His love endures forever.