June 4, 2016 by Joseph Krohn
Charles Spurgeon said: “This is a psalm to be read slowly.”
The Author: Ethan – lit. “enduring” or “steady”
- He is wise – 1 Kings 4:31 – but Solomon was wiser than he was
- He was one of 3 men given the honour of directing the choir for festivals (Asaph, who wrote many Psalms was one of them; Heman who wrote Psalm 88 was the other (1 Chronicles 15-16)
- His name was changed to Jeduthun – lit. “The Lord is steady” (chief musician listed with Asaph and Heman – 2 Chronicles 35:15)
Ethan shows us why we need others in our lives:
- Heman – Ps. 88 holds a more sour view on life – v.3 “life’s a mess and then you die.”
- Ethan – emphasises praise in the midst of troubles – v.1 “I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever.” He knew the same things that Heman did (Israel was falling apart) but he rejoiced in God’s unfailing love (v.2)
It is this perspective that keeps Ethan in the midst of life’s storm.
What does this show us about our need for good influences in our lives?
What makes a person steady? What made Ethan steady?
- Influences of other people – v.1 “young and old will hear of your faithfulness” – there were other people in Ethan’s life that helped to shape him – Asaph, Heman, etc.
- Up-to-date relationship with God – v.2 “unfailing love will last forever… your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens.” à God had shown him His dependability.
- Unwavering Faith in God – v.3-4 |God keeps His promises| Ethan recognized that!!
The Results of Steady lives:
- v.5 – All heaven will praise the Lord!
- v.6 – The knowledge that No one or no feeling, emotion, problem can compares to God.
- v.7 – Standing in awe of God – “reverence” for Him.
Where does a steady person get their steadiness from? A. GOD (v.8-18)!
Illustration: Exodus 17:8-13 – Israel is fighting the Amalekites, Joshua is leading the troops, Moses watches from a hill with his staff raised (when It’s up Israel wins, when it is down they lose). He grew tired and so Aaron and Hur (two men) helped old his arm “steady until the going down of the sun.”
“Faithfulness” (v.8) same Hebrew word as Moses arm being held “steady” – unmoving, raised up, dependable
Habakkuk 2:4 “Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith (lit. be his steadiness).
Ethan recognizes in v.8-18 that God is faithful/steady it is a part of His character – His righteousness, justice, unfailing love and truth ALL SHOW US THAT we have a God that we can COUNT ON!
V.9-18 – What pictures does Ethan show us of God’s steadiness?
- v.9 – Rule the waves – nature is under His control – Reigns
- v.10 – He has broken the storm/sea monsters – Conqueror
- v.10 – Scatters our enemies – Protector
- v.11 – Heaven and earth is His – Creator
- v.12 – Directions and geography are under His control – Mighty
- v.13 – “High is your right hand” – Victor, unbeatable!
- v.14 – Two pillars: “righteousness and justice” – He is truth, never makes a mistake!
- v.15 – lit. “Oh! How blessed are the people who are sure that they have God with them, and who, being sure, bow before Him in loving worship!” – Dependable , We can count on Him!
- v.16 – “rejoice all day in His reputation”
- v.17 – He is our strength
- v.18 – Our protection comes from God.